Maintenance of cellular homeostasis depends upon several pathways that allow a cell to respond and adapt to both environmental stress and changes in metabolic status. New work in this issue of The EMBO Journal reveals a mechanism of cross talk between heat shock factor 1 (HSF1), the primary regulator of the proteotoxic stress response, and AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK), the primary sensor in the metabolic stress response.
- AMP-Activated Protein Kinases/metabolism
- DNA-Binding Proteins/metabolism
- Heat Shock Transcription Factors
- Neoplasm Proteins/metabolism
- Neoplasms, Experimental/metabolism
- Stress, Physiological
- Transcription Factors/metabolism